For your paid critique, you may submit:
- one picture book manuscript
- OR up to 10 pages of poems
- OR a one-page synopsis of a fiction or nonfiction project + the first 10 pages of the corresponding manuscript.
- OR a one-page synopsis of a graphic novel project + the first 10 pages of the corresponding manuscript (a one-page art sample is optional).
Note: see below for manuscript formatting
Submit your correctly formatted manuscript to email@example.com no later than 11:59 p.m. EST/10:59 p.m. CST on February 14, 2021 (for first round author critiques, and 11:59 p.m. EDT/10:59 p.m. CDT April 15, 2021, for second round, acquiring faculty critiques). Online registration must be completed and all fees must be paid by this time as well. All submissions will receive a personal confirmation within 48 hours. PLEASE DO NOT email asking if your submission has been received BEFORE this window expires.
We will not be able to swap manuscripts after you’ve sent yours to us. If your manuscript arrives after 11:59 p.m. EST/10:59 p.m. CST on February 14, 2021, or 11:59 p.m. EDT/10:59 p.m. CDT April 15, 2021, you will be informed. This fee is nonrefundable.
1) Writers who are not illustrators DO NOT need illustrations for their picture books. A correctly formatted manuscript is the only necessary submission. Author-illustrators of graphic novels have the option to submit a one-page art sample in addition to their manuscript.
2) Your manuscript must ARRIVE in our inbox ON or BEFORE the deadlines. Manuscripts received after that day cannot be accepted.
3) In the subject line of your email, please include the book’s title and category (i.e., picture book, middle grade, young adult, nonfiction, graphic novel). Please send only a .docx file and name your manuscript file as follows
For instance AUSTEN_PRIDEANDPREJUDICE_YA
4) Format ALL manuscripts in double-spaced 12-point Times New Roman. You may single-space the synopsis.
5) ALL submissions must include a title page with your contact information and the genre of your manuscript (YA, MG, PB, chapter book, graphic novel, or NF). Please note, it must be only one genre, there is no MG/YA per publishing guidelines. If you are represented by an agent, please note that on the title page as well. The title page does NOT count as one of your ten pages.
6) The name on your manuscript MUST match the name you registered under for the Critique Fest, even if you write under a pseudonym. Please include a header on your manuscript that includes your name, title, and page numbering.
7) For picture books: submit a title page and up to 10 pages of ONE picture book manuscript all in the same document. No synopsis is needed.
8) For middle grade, young adult, nonfiction, chapter books, and graphic novels: submit a title page, the first 10 pages of your manuscript (even if it cuts off mid-chapter) plus a short synopsis (no longer than one page) all in the same document.
10) For poetry: this includes rhyming picture books, novels in verse, and stand-alone poetry collections. Poetry submissions should conform to the picture book and novel guidelines above; however, they may be single-spaced with a double space between stanzas, per industry standards. Stand-alone collections (i.e. a group of poems intended to be published as one book) must have a page break at the end of each poem. There is a word count limit of 2500 words.